15th Annual Product Management and Marketing Salary Survey
Leading Indicators of Salary Amount Include Location, Gender and Area of Focus
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Feb. 10, 2015 – Pragmatic Marketing has released the results of its 15th Annual Product Management and Marketing Survey, a comprehensive survey that explores the types of challenges product teams face around the globe.
Among the findings: Product managers and marketers earned an average of $100,000 to $120,000 a year before bonuses in 2014; the average annual bonus was just over $10,000.
More than 1,300 respondents from 40 countries took part in this year's survey. It took a deep dive into the contributing factors that bumped a salary up or down:
- Respondents with at least seven direct reports averaged $28,000 more than their counterparts. Those with no direct reports earned $9,000 less.
- Experience mattered. Respondents with 11 or more years’ experience in the industry earned $17,000 more on average. Those with less than two years’ experience in the industry earned $24,000 less.
- Department size also affected compensation. Product managers and marketers earned $8,000 more on average in large departments with 26 or more people. But small departments with five or fewer people resulted in an average salary decrease of $7,000.
- Location was also a factor. Respondents in California made $14,000 more on average and in Massachusetts they made $12,000 more. Overall, respondents in the Pacific region earned more than others across the US.
- Females earned an average of $7,000 less than their male counterparts.
- Those who spent more time on strategic activities earned $7,000 more on average than their counterparts who focused on tactical activities.
- Australia had the highest average salary at $136,000.
Pragmatic Marketing’s annual survey provides a benchmark for the industry and helps professionals, analysts and executives keep a finger on the pulse of a rapidly evolving area of technology companies. The survey was conducted between Nov. 19 and Dec. 19, 2014 and can be downloaded at: http://www.pragmaticmarketing.com/resources/annual-survey.
About Pragmatic Marketing
Pragmatic Marketing was founded in 1993 and has become the authority on technology product management and marketing. The company has trained more than 125,000 product management and marketing professionals, with more than 50,000 becoming Pragmatic Marketing Certified. Pragmatic Marketing’s team of thought leaders produce blogs, webinars, podcasts and publications that product professionals around the world turn to for industry insights. For more information, please visit www.PragmaticMarketing.com or call 480-515-1411.