Sample Sales Engineer Job Description
As a sales engineer, you have a strong technical understanding of our products and our customers’ businesses gleaned from deep industry knowledge. This knowledge enables you to convey how our product features help customers solve their market problems.
You also have a knack for solving complex problems, and combine technical knowledge with exceptional presentation skills to provide both internal and external advice. You support our customers through the sales cycle, assisting with pre-sales technical knowledge and presentations.
In addition, you understand our prospects’ product requirements and help them validate those requirements against our product, identifying any technical risks and providing mitigation strategies when needed. You also communicate prospect and customer needs and product feedback to product management, marketing and sales.
- Develop strong relationships with customers, sales and product teams as a trusted advisor to facilitate solution improvements.
- Participate in security reviews and technical discussions with the client’s IT and security teams and address any security or product-related concerns.
- Perform client and prospect demonstrations (both virtual and in-person).
- Proactively guide customers through their product options and prescribe solutions based on their needs.
- Identify any custom technical requirements and coordinate as necessary with product team.
- Assist with technical sections for RFP/RFI and vendor assessments for new and existing clients.
- Share sales and product insights and feedback with product management team to facilitate new features and updates.
- Translate deep technical information for a variety of audiences.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience as a sales engineer or solutions engineer.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to make effective customer presentations.
- Strong leadership skills to own and lead all technical aspects of the sales process.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple accounts/opportunities.
- Experience creating detailed technical proposal and implementation plans.
- Experience preparing RFP and RFI responses.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, MIS/CIS or any other technical field.
- Willingness to travel 10-40%.
Our courses can help you succeed in this role.
Looking for the latest in product management news, articles, webinars, podcasts and more?